Swim Meet Tips
Being prepared for a swim meet will help improve the experience for the swimmers as well as the parents. Knowing what to expect and what to bring can help to ensure that swim meets are positive experiences for everyone.
- Consider bringing a shade canopy to ensure that your swimmers stay cool and comfortable during meets. Share with other swimmers who also need to stay out of the sun.
- Try to arrive at the pool early to ensure you get a parking spot and your swimmers are ready for warm-ups. Warm-ups typically start 30 minutes before the stated start time of the swim meet.
- Check in with the coaches so they know you are at the meet. Please have your swimmers marked with their event numbers using a sharpie before applying their sunscreen.
- Be prepared to volunteer to help the meet run smoothly. Actively look for volunteer opportunities and sign up ahead of time so that we are not scrambling for workers.
- Bring several towels as invariably they get wet from use and being around a pool.
- Bring snacks, water and extra sunscreen. You may also be able to purchase food and drink at the meets from a concession stand or café.
- Bring anything your swimmer may wish to use for entertainment between events. Don’t forget about siblings who are not on the team.
- Ensure your swimmers stay in the team area. If they need to leave, ensure they know to tell the coaches when they leave and when they return.